Town Clerk and Treasurer: Julie SharonChurch-New Assistant Clerks: Jill Stone Teer and Sandi Switzer

Welcome to our town. The Town Clerk’s Office Provides the following services:

Vehicle registration renewals, Voter registration, Tax Collection, Tax Information, Dog Licensing, Recording official documents, Issue civil marriage licenses, Issue certified copies of vital records, Maintain Town records such as land records, maps, Minutes of meetings, etc., Notary public (no charge), Transfer Station Punch Cards, Hunting & Fishing Licenses, Green Mountain Passports, and the Monthly Wallingford Newsletter.

Electronic Payments


The town of Wallingford now accepts Visa, MasterCard and Discover credit/debit card payments for certified copies, property taxes and other fees. Electronic payments are accepted at Town Hall, via telephone, mobile app, or through the portal. (Please note, property taxes must be processed online by 4:30 p.m. EST on the due date). charges a $1 convenience fee for transactions under $33 and a 3% charge for transactions of $33 or more. There is no cost to the town for this service. For questions, contact at 1-866-480-8552. To make a payment to the town of Wallingford via portal, click on the link below:

Download the paygov mobile app and enter Wallingford’s Pay Location Code (PLC) 37307.

If you have any other suggestions as to how the Town Clerk’s office can provide a higher level of service, please give us a call at 446-2336.  If you wish any information about our town, please feel free to call or visit us.  We’re open Monday – Thursday 8:00 A.

Voter’s Guide for People With Disabilities

Disability Rights Vermont has produced “Voter’s Guide for People With Disabilities.” To review the document, click here.

Voter Registration

OnLine Voter Registration Promo

For a quick and easy way to register to vote, access the Vermont Secretary of State website by clicking Online Voter Registration or My Voter Page and follow the simple steps. The Online Voter Registration allows you to register to vote or change the name or address on your voting registration record. The My Voter Page provides the following information: absentee ballot status, mail-In application and ballot status, poll location, elected officials, registration information on file with the Town Office, sample ballot for the upcoming election and more. (My Voter Page provides a web-based search of data extracted from Vermont’s statewide voter registration database. It is NOT the official record of your registration, which is retained by the voter registration office in the Town of your residence.)

Tax Collection

Tax bills are mailed ONLY once each year for the entire tax year. You will receive a tax bill in August with one-half payment due in October and the remaining one-half payment due in April. Post-dated checks are not allowed and will not be held. Credit/debit card payments are accepted, but please note payments must be processed online by 4:30 p.m. EST on the due date. To pay by credit/debit card, click on the link above in the Electronic Payments section.

If you purchase a property after April 1st, you will not receive a new bill in your name (or Transfer Station punch cards/sticker) until the following tax year mailing.  Your attorney should have made you aware of this and all outstanding taxes due are your responsibility.  Contact the Town Clerk’s office  at (802) 446-2336 if you need a copy of the bill.

The Town of Wallingford will charge a $25 fee for all checks returned for any reason.

FY19 Tax Rates:  Town .3508 cents; Local Agreement .0049 cents; Homestead Education $1.3443; Non Residential Education $1.4635; Fire Protection (FD1 & FD2) .0861 cents; FD2 .0059 cents.

Tax Information

2017 Vermont Homestead Declaration Form HS-122 Section A

Vermont resident homeowners must annually file a Declaration of Homestead on their principal dwelling.  Due date is April 17, 2018.  Late filing penalties will be applied.

For more information: Homestead Declaration FAQ

2017 Property Tax Adjustment Claim Form HS-122 Section B Eligible Homestead owners must annually file a claim to receive an adjustment to property tax. Generally an adjustment is not available to households whose income is $99,000 or more. Claims for Property Tax Adjustments are due April 18. Those who file after April 17 must pay a $15 late filing fee, which will be deducted from the Property Tax Adjustment. Claims filed after Oct. 15 or incomplete claims will not be accepted.

In order to file a property tax adjustment claim, you must meet all of the following eligibility requirements: • Your property qualifies as a homestead, and you have filed a Homestead Declaration • You were domiciled in Vermont for the full prior calendar year • You were not claimed as a dependent of another taxpayer • You own the property as your principal residence on April 1 of the calendar year • You meet the household income criteria Ready to file your claim? Review the filing checklist to make sure you have the  correct forms.

Documents you will need to file:

Latest property tax bill

Income information for you, your spouse/civil union partner, and all other members of the households such as W-2, 1099, SSA-1099, SSA-1042S, RRB-1099, RRB-1045, business income information

Homestead Declaration Assistance Tel: 1-866-828-2865 (toll-free in VT) or 802-828-2865 (local & out-of-state) Fax: 802-828-2720

Dog Licensing

Dog licensing is an annual event. Dogs more than six months of age may be licensed any time after January 1st of a calendar year, but must be licensed no later than April 1st of the same year in order to avoid the additional fee assessment. If a dog reaches 6 months of age after April 1st, the owner must apply for a license within 30 days; the fee is reduced by half after October 1st.

All dogs must have a current rabies vaccination. All dogs over three months of age shall be vaccinated against rabies.  The initial vaccination shall be valid for 12 months.  Within 9 to 12 months of the initial vaccination, the animal must receive a booster vaccination.  All subsequent vaccinations following the initial vaccination shall be valid for 36 months.

Dog Licensing Fees:

By April 1  Fee
Neutered/Spayed Unneutered/Not Spayed $10.00 $14.00
After April 1  Fee
Neutered/Spayed Unneutered/Not Spayed $15.00 $21.00

We have a leash law that states that a person shall not allow a dog to run at large except upon the property of the owner.

Remember to license, leash and love your pet! 

Vitals. Due to the recent passage of Act 46, new rules for Vital Records intend to bring Vermont in line with best practices to enhance the safety and security of vital records and provide greater protection against identity theft. Effective July 1, 2018, certified copies of birth and death certificates can only be issued to family members, legal guardians and certain court-related parties and legal representatives. Applicants must complete an application and show acceptable identification. Applicants who are not eligible to receive a certified certificate (e.g. people who are not family or who provide unacceptable identification) will be referred to the Vital Records Office at (802) 863-7300.

Green Mountain Passports The Green Mountain Passport Program was started in 1973 by enactment of the Vermont General Assembly.  To be eligible for a passport, you must be:  a resident of Vermont and 62 years old or older, or a Veteran of the uniformed services – provide form DD214 or see indication on driver’s license (after 7/1/13). The card covers day use to Vermont state parks and admission to Vermont Historic sites.  Apply for a passport at the Town Clerk’s office for $2.00.  Questions, call 1-802-241-2401.

Recording Official Documents Recording fees are $10.00 per page for all documents recorded. Make checks payable to the Town of Wallingford. Certified copies are $10.00 per document. All deeds conveying property (even if no money is exchanged) must have a Vermont Property Transfer Tax Return. There is a $10.00 filing fee for this form. Contact the Vermont State Tax Department for information on this form: (802) 828-2542. UCC filings – $35.00. Posted Land Recording – $5.00. Survey Plat Maps – $15.00. Vermont records all Land Records by Town or City. There is no county recording system in Vermont.

Zoning Wallingford adopted new zoning regulations in August of 2015 along with a revised Zoning Permit Fee Schedule. For more information, click here.  The Zoning Administrator can be reached at 446-2974.

Trash The Transfer Station is a service provided to property owners and renters. The Transfer Station is located on Waldo Lane, just west of Route 140W after the bridge. The Transfer Station is open Mondays & Wednesdays Noon – 5:00 P.M. and Saturdays 8:00 A.M.–Noon.  All garbage must be in bags and the transfer station attendant will punch a hole in your punch card for each bag. Annually, property owners receive a packet containing one 50-hole and one 20-hole punch card with their tax bills. Residents may purchase additional cards at either the Town Hall or Transfer Station. The 20-hole punch card is $20; the 50-hole punch card is $50. Each vehicle accessing the facility must display a municipal sticker, which are available at the Transfer Station or Town Hall for $3 each.

There are varying fees for scrap metal, furniture, tires, yard waste and other materials. We host household hazardous waste days two times a year. Zero Sort and e-waste recycling is free.  Returnable bottle and can donations are accepted on behalf of local school groups.