A little bit of railroad history in East Wallingford will be open to the public this Saturday – Railroad Section House #14. Section houses were built at intervals along the railroad tracks to provide shelter, storage, office and sometimes sleeping accommodations for the railroad maintenance workers. The East Wallingford section house dates from the turn of the century. The building holds a holds a special attraction – “Fairmont Motor Car Number 118” – rail maintenance vehicle known as a “speeder car”. This gasoline powered vehicle replaced the original hand-pump car railroad workers used to travel along & maintain Section 14 of the rail line.
An original grain cart, and collection of enlarged photographs and postcards of the East Wallingford rail station and rail road bridges dating from the early 1900’s are also on display in the building.
This historical site will be open Sunday, Aug. 4, from 12:00 – 2:00 pm. It is located at the bottom of Sugar Hill Road, just around the corner and visible from the train crossing on Rt 140 in East Wallingford Village. Parking is available behind the building, off Sugar Hill Rd.