Railroad Section House Museum
A little bit of railroad history in East Wallingford is now open to the public for the summer season – Railroad Section House #14. Section houses were built at intervals along the railroad tracks to provide shelter, storage, office and sometimes sleeping accommodations for the railroad maintenance workers. Although it’s age is not certain, the East Wallingford section house dates from the late 1800′s/turn of the century. The building holds a holds a special attraction – “Fairmont Motor Car Number 118″ – rail maintenance vehicle known as a “speeder car”. This gasoline powered vehicle replaced the original hand-pump car railroad workers used to travel along & maintain Section 14 of the rail line.
A collection of enlarged photographs and postcards of the East Wallingford rail station and rail road bridges dating from the early 1900′s is on also on display in the building.The Railroad Section House Museum will be open on Saturday, June 30 from noon to 2:00 p.m. and Saturday, July 28 from noon to 2:00 p.m. It is located at the bottom of Sugar Hill Road.